THE NEWBORN SESSION:
- Newborn sessions are typically done within the first 5-14 days after baby is born. This is a special window of time when we are able to catch little ones while they are still sleepy and very flexible. As babies spend more time out of your tummy they become more aware of their surroundings and are more particular about every aspect of their new life (hunger, temperature, swaddling, etc.). Our goal is also to capture them before baby acne and possible hair loss as well, which usually begins just after the two week mark.
- A typical newborn session lasts 2 to 3 hours and is done in your home where you and your family are most comfortable.
- A small area is usually set up near a sliding door or in a room with good natural light. Diana will also bring flash for additional lighting.
- Sessions can also include family members or pets at no additional charge.
THE BOOKING PROCESS:
Typically a newborn session is booked before the birth of the baby. After any questions have been asked and answered and you are ready to book, please email over your address and contact information. This information is plugged into a session contract which is emailed to you. The contract will give you deposit and prop selection information. It is nice for you as new parents to be able to select props ahead of time so artistic decisions aren’t being made while you are busy with the new baby and possibly a bit tired. Once the contract is returned via email or mail and the deposit is paid, your due date is added to our calendar. As soon as the baby arrives our new parents usually send an email or text from the hospital to alert us of the arrival of the baby and to set up our photo shoot day. If you are having a scheduled c-section a session date can be arranged prior to the birth.
PREPARING FOR THE SESSION:
It is best to try to feed the baby as close to the start of the session as possible. Before beginning this feeding, it is very helpful to have the baby in just a clean diaper and a warm blanket so we don’t disturb them before the session by removing clothing. If you would like any guidance on clothing for family photos please click here for Diana’s “What to Wear” tips.
We bring many diaper covers, hats, headbands etc. but please feel free to purchase things from etsy or plan on using blankets or things people have given you for the baby. It is a lot of fun to style the session to your tastes and preferences and to really make it unique to your family. Diana is up for any fun ideas, please feel free to email her with plans you may have prior to the session if you would like her input as well.
AFTER THE SESSION:
After the session, the images are edited and color/exposure corrected to make sure all is looking great. About 7-10 days after the session these images are uploaded to a private password protected website for you. These images are yours to view, share, download and even print from your private website. You may download the images in high and/or low resolution so you can print on your own, share on social media etc. Once you have had a chance to browse the images please let Diana know your favorite 5 images for retouching.
NEWBORN SESSION FAQs:
- Is Diana vaccinated? Yes! Diana was fully vaccinated as a child, has an up to date flu vaccine, a fresh DTAP booster in the fall of 2015, and a TB screening.
- Can family members or pets be included in the photos? Yes, absolutely! Diana loves to include any and all special members of the family as part of your session.
- Are the high resolution images included in the price of the session? YES! All images are uploaded to a private website in high resolution, with full download and printing rights. There are no hidden fees, watermarks, etc.
- Are any images retouched for us? 5 images of your choice are retouched for you per session. After the images have been edited and posted, please send us an email with the numbers of your 5 favorite images or put them in a favorites folder on your private website and let us know you have done so.
- Can/should I nurse my baby during the session? Feeding and soothing the baby is a very normal and expected part of the session. Breaks will be taken as necessary to make sure the baby stays as happy and comfortable as possible.
- About how many images are included per session? A typical newborn session results in about 150-300 edited images.